This spaetzle recipe is enhanced with spinach. These dressed up spaetzle are a healthy and delicious variation. You can use spinach spaetzle like the original spaetzle as a side or can make tasty spaetzle casseroles or spaetzle salads.
How is Spinach called in German?
Spinach is called "Spinat".
How to pronounce "Spinat"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Spinat" in German.
How to make Spinach Spaetzle from Scratch Video Tutorial
Authentic German Spinach Spaetzle Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 6 oz. frozen spinach
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground pepper
- ½ cup water
To cook the spaetzle:
- 1- gallon water
- 1 ½ tbsp. salt
- Thaw spinach and press excess water out.
- Transfer spinach to a blender and add heavy whipping cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Mix until smooth and set aside.
- To a large bowl add flour and eggs and blend briefly.
- Add the spinach mixture and blend well.
- Add the water and mix the batter until smooth.
- Let batter rest for about 5-10 min.
- In the meantime, heat water in a large pot.
- Stir dough one more time.
- Add about 1 ½ tbsp. salt to the boiling water.
- Press about ⅓ of the batter through a spaetzle maker.
- Wait until spaetzle float to the top, then let them cook an additional 2 – 3 minutes.
- Now scoop spaetzle out with a slotted spoon into a strainer.
- Repeat until all batter is used.
- Toss them in melted butter directly before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Join the Conversation