What is it?
A German soup with a variety of fish fillets, shrimp and vegetables.
How is it called in German?
“Suppe” is the German word for “Soup”.
Cultural Background Story
Büsum is a town on the North Sea, in northern Germany. It’s known for its fishing industry
The first documented mention of Büsum (as an island) dates from the year 1140.
Since 1818, Büsum has been used as a spa town visited for the healing effects of the seawater and the mudflats of the Wadden Sea.
Büsum Style Fish Soup
German cuisine is mainly known for it´s heavy meat dishes. But especially Northern Germany has lots of amazing fish and seafood dishes that you would probably not expect but you absolutely need to try.
Büsum-Style Fish Soup
- 34 oz. vegetable broth (4 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 2 large waxy potatoes i.e. Yukon Gold
- 1.5 pounds mixed fish fillets i.e. salmon, pollack, halibut, tilapia
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms
- 5 oz. small pre-cooked shrimps
- 2 medium sized onions
- 4 tbsp. lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup sour creme
- ¼ cup heavy cream
Spices fort he broth
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. coarse Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. coarse pepper
- ½ bunch fresh dill or 1-2 tsp. dried dill
- Peel the onions and potatoes and cut them into small cubes.
- To a medium sized pot add the vegetable broth, the potato, and onion cubes.
- Add the spices, cover with a lid and simmer for about 10 min, or until cooked but still firm to the bite.
- Rinse the fish fillets under cold running water and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Drizzle the fish fillets with 2 tbsp. of lemon juice and salt and pepper them on both sides.
- Then cut the fillets into bite-sized pieces.
- Drizzle the shrimp_ with 1 tbsp. of lemon and salt and pepper them.
- Clean the mushrooms and slice them.
- Add the fish, carrots, and the mushrooms to the pot.
- Reduce the heat to low and cover the pot and let sit for about 10 min.
- Mix the sour cream and the heavy cream with 1 tbsp. of lemon juice.
- Add the shrimp, the sour cream and the heavy cream.
- Chop the dill finely but save some sprigs to garnish before serving.
- Sprinkle the chopped dill into the soup and mix well.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Serve immediately.
Try this Büsum style fish soup with different fish fillets and seafood to find your personal favorite recipe.