German style apple pancakes.
“Apfelküchle” is a traditional German sweet dish that originated from the Baden and Württemberg regions.
This kind of pancake is particularly popular in Southern Germany, but they have made their way through Europe and the USA. Traditionally this dish is served as a dessert but is also sometimes served as a main meal and is especially popular with kids.
How are Apple Pancakes called in German?
Apple Pancakes are called "Apfelpfannkuchen" or "Apfelküchle" in Swabian dialect.
How to pronounce "Apfelküchle"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Apfelküchle" in German.
How to make German Apple Pancakes from Scratch Video Tutorial
Authentic German Apple Pancakes Recipe
Apfelpfannkuchen - German Apple Pancakes
- 4 large apples
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
For the batter:
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup beer or sparkling apple cider soda
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
For the topping:
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon optional
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Peel and core apples, and cut them into half-inch thick rings.
- To keep apples from browning, add them to a bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Separate eggs whites and yolks into two bowls.
- Beat egg whites with salt, until firm peaks form.
- Add egg yolks, vanilla extract and sugar to the egg yolks and beat until light and creamy.
- Add the melted butter and mix.
- Then add the flour, the beer or apple cider and the milk to the batter and mix until well combined.
- Now you are ready to fold in the egg whites.
- Add oil and butter to a large pan and melt on medium heat.
- Dip the apple rings into the batter, shake off excess batter and fry on both sides until they are nicely golden brown.
- Remove the apple pancakes from the pan and allow them drain on a kitchen towel.
- Toss still warm in the sugar-cinnamon mixture.
How to Serve Apple Pancakes?
Sprinkle with powdered sugar or a cinnamon-sugar mix. You can serve them also with vanilla sauce or vanilla ice-cream.
For a deluxe version serve with homemade Bavarian cream. You can make the vanilla mousse like cream dessert a day ahead and store it in the refrigerator.