What is it?
A German rice pudding.
How is it called in German?
“Milch” is the German word for “Milk” and “Reis” means “rice” in English.
German Rice Pudding
This recipe features an all-time favorite German dish called “Milchreis” which is a creamy delicious rice pudding.
It doesn´t sound like much, but once you have tried it you will know why people in Germany are addicted to this versatile dish that can be enjoyed for breakfast, a snack or as a dessert.
It can be served warm or chilled right out of the fridge which makes it easy to prepare it the day before.
German Rice Pudding - Milchreis
- 4 cups milk
- 1 ¼ cups Arborio rice
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla paste or 1 tbsp. vanilla sugar / extract
For the topping
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. brown butter
- To a large pot add butter and melt on medium heat.
- Add the rice and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the milk, sugar and vanilla extract to the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring.
- Cover pot with a lid and reduce the heat to very low.
- Stir occasionally until almost all the liquid is gone. This will take about 20-30 min.
- In the meantime, mix cinnamon and sugar and prepare the brown butter.
- Serve hot with brown butter and cinnamon/sugar mixture, or enjoy cold with fresh berries, compote or apple sauce.
Serve plain, with cinnamon-sugar, apple sauce, fresh berries, Rote Grütze (German fruit compote) or any other compote of your liking.
Serve the Milchreis hot with brown butter and the cinnamon/sugar mixture, or enjoy it cold with fresh berries, compote or apple sauce.
Recipe for brown butter coming next week Monday!