This recipe features an all-time favorite German dish called “Milchreis” which is a creamy delicious rice pudding.
It doesn´t sound like much, but once you have tried it you will know why people in Germany are addicted to this versatile dish that can be enjoyed for breakfast, a snack or as a dessert.
It can be served warm or chilled right out of the fridge which makes it easy to prepare it the day before.
How is Rice Pudding called in German?
Rice pudding is called “Milchreis” in German. “Milch” is the German word for “Milk” and “Reis” means “rice” in English.
How to pronounce “Milchreis”?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Milchreis”.
How to make German Rice Pudding Video Tutorial
Authentic German Rice Pudding Recipe
- 4 cups milk
- 1 ¼ cups Arborio rice
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla paste or 1 tbsp. vanilla sugar / extract
For the topping
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. brown butter
- To a large pot add butter and melt on medium heat.
- Add the rice and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the milk, sugar and vanilla extract to the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring.
- Cover pot with a lid and reduce the heat to very low.
- Stir occasionally until almost all the liquid is gone. This will take about 20-30 min.
- In the meantime, mix cinnamon and sugar and prepare the brown butter.
- Serve hot with brown butter and cinnamon/sugar mixture, or enjoy cold with fresh berries, compote or apple sauce.
Serve plain, with cinnamon-sugar, apple sauce, fresh berries, Rote Grütze (German fruit compote) or any other compote of your liking.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
How to Serve Semolina Pudding?
Serve the Milchreis hot with brown butter and the cinnamon/sugar mixture, or enjoy it cold with fresh berries, compote or apple sauce.