On a cold and rainy day it´s a great idea to cook some German potato comfort soup. This soup warms the soul and heart on a cold day. Here are the steps how to make it.
How is Potato Soup called in German?
Potato soup is called "Kartoffelsuppe".
How to pronounce "Kartoffelsuppe"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Kartoffelsuppe" in German.
How to make German Potato Soup Video Tutorial
Authentic German Potato Soup with Sausages Recipe
German Potato Soup
- 5 large potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 2 stalks of leek
- 1 large onion
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. butter or vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. ground marjoram
- 1 bunch parsley
- 6 franks
- Peel potatoes and carrots and cut into bite size pieces.
- Cube the onion.
- Clean the leek and cut into fine slices. Rinse with water and drain.
- Add oil to a large pot and fry onions until translucent.
- Add the leek and fry briefly with the onions.
- Add the broth, potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper, nutmeg, marjoram and bay leaves.
- Simmer covered on medium-high heat for about 20 min.
- In the meantime, slice the franks and chop the parsley finely.
- Add parsley and sausage slices to the pot and allow to sit on low heat for about 10 min.