Many regions in Germany have distinct recipes for liverwurst. Adding ingredients like pieces of onion or bacon to the recipe make each variety of liverwurst very important to cultural identity.
Servings: 1 quarts
- 1/2 pound pork or beef liver
- 2 oz. uncured bacon
- 1/2 pound uncured pork belly
- 6 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 7 whole allspice
- 1 large white onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small red onion
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. marjoram
- 1 tsp. thyme
- Cut white onion into quarters.
- Pour water into a medium pot, add bay leaves and all spice.
- Cook pork belly for about 1 hour on medium heat.
- Add liver at the last 10-15 minutes.
- Cut liver and pork belly into bite sized pieces and add to blender.
- Dice onion and bacon finely, fry till translucent and add to blender.
- Add spices to the blender and mix to a smooth texture.
Serve with a Kaiser roll or fresh bread.