These delicious homemade dinner rolls are a great hit in our family. It´s a classic favorite that I always like to make whenever we have soups or stews.
How Do You Call These Dinner Rolls in German?
These soft rolls are called “Partybrötchen” (party buns) or “Partysonne” (bun sun). I like the look of it and they taste even better. They are heavenly fluffy, moist and so good. Let me show you how to make them.
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Partybrötchen" in German.
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Partysonne" in German.
I use all-purpose flour for this recipe but you could use spelt flour or whole wheat flour for this recipe too. But you might have to adjust the liquid a bit.
The buttermilk is the secret ingredient in that recipe. It makes the buns so moist and fluffy.
If you don´t have buttermilk on hand you can use milk. Just add a about 1 tsp. of lemon juice to the milk and let it sit for about 15 min. before you use it.
This recipe is also great for freezing. Just bake the rolls for about 10 min. Allow them to cool completely, add to freezer bag and store up to 3 months in the freezer. Whenever you are in the mood for a freshly baked roll, just remove a roll from the bag, sprinkle with a bit of water and bake the frozen roll for about 5 to 10 min. in a 325 F preheated oven.
Homemade German Dinner Rolls - Partysonne
Dough Step 1:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water lukewarm
- 2 ¼ tsp. dry yeast
Dough Step 2:
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 tbsp. coarse Kosher salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk lukewarm
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp. milk
- ⅓ cup seeds of your choice i.e. pumpkin, sunflower, pumpkin, sesame etc.
- Add one cup of flour, one cup lukewarm water and 2 ¼ tsp. of dry yeast to a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to sit at room temperature for 15-20 min.
- After the resting time add the egg, the remaining flour, Kosher salt, and the buttermilk to the bowl.
- Knead the dough on a medium-low speed setting for about 10-15 min. until the dough is smooth and elastic. The dough will be a bit sticky, don´t add too much flour.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to proof for about 60 - 90 min.
- Knead the dough briefly and divide into 19 equal pieces.
- Shape each dough piece into a bun.
- The arrange the buns on a with parchment lined baking sheet in the shape you like and make sure to don´t place them too close together so they will have some room to proof.
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to proof in a warm spot for about 20-30 min.
Mix the egg yolks with the milk.
- After the proofing time brush all rolls with the egg wash and sprinkle with your favorite seeds.
- Bake for 15-20 min. in a to 325F preheated oven.
What To Serve With Homemade Dinner Rolls
Dinner rolls can be used as side for all meals and also make great sandwiches.
One of the best ways to serve these homemade dinner rolls is with a wonderful German soup.