Learn how to make this wonderful soft and moist German marble pound cake. This cake was my absolute favorite cake as a child and I still love it. Marble cake is very popular in Germany for the famous 4 o’clock coffee hour and a must for every birthday party.
How is Marble Cake called in German?
Marble cake is called “Marmorkuchen” (m).
How to pronounce “Marmorkuchen”?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Marmorkuchen” in German.
How to make German Marble Cake Video Tutorial
Authentic German Marble Cake Recipe
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla sugar or vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. lemon extract
- 2 tbsp. brown rum, optional
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
For the topping:
- Powdered sugar or chocolate glaze
- Separate the eggs into two bowls.
- Beat egg whites with salt and 1/2 cup of sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Add soft butter, 1 cup sugar, vanilla extract, rum and lemon extract to a bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add eggs yolks while whipping the mixture on low.
- Sift flour, corn starch and baking powder into a bowl and mix well.
- Heat the milk to luke warm.
- Gradually add flour, milk and egg whites to the egg yolk mixture. Beat on lowest setting or fold in by hand.
- Grease cake pan.
- Add 2/3 of the batter to the cake pan.
- Sift the cocoa powder to the remaining batter and mix well.
- Add the batter to the cake pan.
- Swirl a fork through the batter to create the marble look.
- Bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 40 – 50 minutes.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before removing from the pan to cool out completely.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar or brush with a chocolate glaze.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 slices Serving Size: 1 Slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 251mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 5g
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.