Matjes home-made style is a typical Matjes recipe, which is prepared with sour cream, apples and onions. Some recipes also include ingredients such as yoghurt, mayonnaise or heavy cream.
After being caught, the herring would usually be refined to be Matjes in the months of May, June and July.
This would occur by washing and then pickling them. Being pickled in brine allows for the taste to optimally ripen. Natural enzymes allow the fish meat of the herring to ripen to the incomparable, tender Matjes.
How is this Dish called in German?
This amazing fish dish is called ““Matjeshering nach Hausfrauen Art”. “Hausfrau” is the German word for “Housewife”.
Creamy Matjes Herring
This creamy matjes herring recipe is a straightforward and easy dish, that tastes especially good in the summer time, due to the tangy-fresh sauce which makes it deliciously light.
How to make Matjes Herring in Cream Sauce Video Tutorial
Authentic German Creamy Matjes Herring Recipe
- 10 matjes herring filets
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 14 oz. bread and butter pickles
- 1 large apple
- 1 large onions
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 bunch dill
- Mix sour cream and heavy whipping cream in a bowl.
- Add salt, pepper, sugar and lemon juice and stir well.
- Peel and core apples. Cut into fine slices.
- Peel and slice onions into fine slices.
- Cut pickles into slices.
- Add apples, onions and pickles to the bowl.
- Rinse herring filets, cut into 2-inch-wide slices and add to the bowl.
- Chop dill finely and add to the bowl.
- Mix gently and allow to marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight.
Serve with boiled or fried potatoes or a crispy roll.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Traditionally you would serve this dish with fried or boiled potatoes or a cripy roll, but it also tastes great as topping for a jacket potato or potato pancakes.
Served on small slices of pumpernickel this recipe makes a great appetizer.