One of the traditional sides to all kind of German dishes are cabbage salads.
How is Red Cabbage Salad called in German?
Red cabbage salad is called "Rotkrautsalat".
How to pronounce "Rotkrautsalat"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Rotkrautsalat" in German.
How to make German Red Cabbage Salad Video Tutorial
Authentic German Red Cabbage Salad Recipe
German Red Cabbage Salad
- 1 small head of red cabbage
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Remove outer leaves of cabbage, cut into 8 wedges and remove core.
- Shred the wedges finely and add to a bowl.
- Add vinegar, oil, sugar, salt and pepper to a small pot and bring to a boil.
- Pour hot mixture over the shredded cabbage.
- Knead the salad for about 3 to 5 min. and refrigerate for at least 1 ½ hours before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Join the Conversation