Germknödel are sweet German steamed rolls. You can find them on fairgrounds and in the ski resorts in Bavaria and Austria.
Sweet Yeast Dumplings
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup plum preserve or your favorite jam
- Fill flour in a large bowl.
- Form a little dent in the middle of the flour and place yeast and sugar into it.
- Pour 1/2 cup warm milk over the sugar/yeast mix and stir gently together.
- Cover with clean kitchen towel and allow to rest for about 20 minutes.
- Melt butter in the remaining warm milk and pour into the bowl.
- Add all other ingredients for the dough and mix well.
- Knead for about 5 minutes.
- Cover again with the kitchen towel and let rise for about 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and shape each to a little ball.
- Flatten the ball in your hand and fill with 1 tablespoon of preserve.
- Close tightly by tucking the seams underneath so you will have a smooth globe on top.
- Fill a large pan with about 1/2 inch of water and bring to a boil.
- Set dumplings into the pan and cook on medium low heat for about 20–25 minutes.
Grind 1/4 cup of poppy seeds with a 1/4 cup of powdered sugar in a blender and sprinkle the mixture over the yeast dumplings and serve with vanilla sauce.