One of the most famous German side dishes are bread dumplings. They are easy to make and are a wonderful opportunity to make use out of rolls that are not soft enough anymore. Bread dumplings are the perfect side dish to Sauerbraten, goulash, Rouladen and all kinds of saucy dishes. Try out some of our traditional German food recipes.
How are Bread Dumplings called in German?
Bread dumplings are called "Semmelknödel".
How to pronounce "Semmelknödel"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Semmelknödel" in German.
How to make German Bread Dumplings Video Tutorial
Authentic German Bread Dumpling Recipe
German Bread Dumplings
- 14 rolls
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch parsley
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ tbsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- Cut rolls and onions into small cubes and add to a large bowl.
- Chop the parsley.
- Melt butter in the pan, add onions and fry until translucent.
- Add parsley and fry with the onions for one minute.
- Shut off the heat and add the milk to the pan.
- Pour the mixture over the bread cubes and mix well.
- Add the eggs to a bowl and beat lightly with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes and mix well.
- Allow to rest for about 10 -15 min.
- Knead the mixture well for a couple of minutes.
- Add the bread crumbs and knead for another couple of minutes.
- Wet hands with a bit of cold water and form tennis ball sized balls.
- Bring water to a simmer and add salt.
- Lower the dumplings into the water with a slotted spoon or strainer and let simmer for about 15 to 20 min.
- Remove the dumplings from the pot and serve hot.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Such a great recipe! My entire family loves these dumplings and they never last long. Thank you for sharing this yummy combination!