German Bread Dumplings
- 14 rolls
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch parsley
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ tbsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- Cut rolls and onions into small cubes and add to a large bowl.
- Chop the parsley.
- Melt butter in the pan, add onions and fry until translucent.
- Add parsley and fry with the onions for one minute.
- Shut off the heat and add the milk to the pan.
- Pour the mixture over the bread cubes and mix well.
- Add the eggs to a bowl and beat lightly with salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes and mix well.
- Allow to rest for about 10 -15 min.
- Knead the mixture well for a couple of minutes.
- Add the bread crumbs and knead for another couple of minutes.
- Wet hands with a bit of cold water and form tennis ball sized balls.
- Bring water to a simmer and add salt.
- Lower the dumplings into the water with a slotted spoon or strainer and let simmer for about 15 to 20 min.
- Remove the dumplings from the pot and serve hot.
Try this as an alternative serving idea:
Fry the bread dumplings either as whole or sliced in butter. Sprinkle with parsley and serve to your favorite main dish or as a vegetarian main dish with vegetables or a side salad.