This easy German rye bread is made without sourdough but your would never believe that. It is flavorful and has a great texture. Just make sure to wrap the cooled down bread overnight into a clean kitchen towel for best taste before consumption.
How is rye bread called in German?
Rye bread is called "Roggenbrot" which only contains rye flour or "Roggenmischbrot" which is a bread that usually contains not only rye but also wheat flour.
How to pronounce "Roggenbrot"?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say "Roggenbrot" in German.
Authentic German Rye Bread without Sourdough Recipe
German Rye Bread without Sourdough
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 ¼ tsp. dry yeast
- 4 ½ cups rye flour
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. neutral vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. coarse Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground carraway seeds
- Melt honey in warm water and set aside to cool to luke warm.
- Add bread flour, yeast, and honey-water to a stand mixer bowl.
- Mix well, cover, and let sit for about 20 min.
- Add rye flour, apple cider vinegar, vegetable oil, carraway seeds and salt.
- Knead on low speed for about 3-5 min. and on medium speed for about 5-8 min.
- Cover and allow to raise in a warm space for about 2 hours.
- Knead again, for about 5 min.
- Shape to a long loaf of about 11-12 inches.
- Place the loaf on a with parchment lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with flour and slash the bread 3 to 5 times diagonal with a sharp knife.
- Bake in a 380F pre-heated oven for about 70 min. or until done and golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely on a rack.
- Wrap into a clean kitchen towel overnight for best taste before consumption.
If you are interested to make your own sourdough starter check our Facebook group. We host once in a while sourdough starter challenges.