Sauerbraten is one of the most famous German dishes. In this video I will show you that it is really easy to make an authentic German Sauerbraten with this foolproof recipe. The crucial ingredients for a perfect Sauerbraten are patience and some planning ahead, as the most important step is marinating the meat for 5 to 10 days before you want to cook it.
How to pronounce “Sauerbraten”?
Listen to this audio file to hear how to say “Sauerbraten” in German.
How to marinate German Sauerbraten Video Tutorial
How to cook German Sauerbraten Video Tutorial
Authentic German Classic Sauerbraten Recipe
- 4 - 5 pounds beef roast
- 1/3 small head celery root
- 2 small parsnips
- 4 medium sized carrots
- 2 large onions
- 1 tbsp. garlic paste
- 4 cloves
- 5 bay leaves
- 7 whole all-spice
- 10 whole juniper berries
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. coarse black pepper
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 4 cups red wine
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Butterschmalz or lard
- 2 large onions
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 6 tbsp. honey
- 1 cup beef broth
- Marinate the meat for about 5 to 10 days before you want to serve this dish.
- Rinse the meat and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Add the red wine vinegar and the red wine to a large bowl.
- Add all spices and the garlic paste and mix well.
- Coarsely chop the root vegetables and add them to the bowl as well.
- Slice the onion and add half of the slices to the bowl.
- Place the meat into the bowl and cover it with the other half of the onion slices.
- The meat should be fully submerged in the liquid. If it is not, use a smaller bowl or add up to 2 cups of beef broth.
- Cover the bowl airtight and let the meat marinate in the refrigerator for at least 5, and up to 10 days.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry.
- Melt lard in a large pot.
- Strain the vegetables from the liquid and set both aside.
- Sear the meat on all sides.
- Add the vegetable and about 2/3 of the liquid to the pot.
- Stir the honey into the liquid and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 2 hours covered on medium high heat, turn the meat every half hour.
- Remove the meat from the pan and strain the vegetables from the liquid. Discard the vegetables and set the liquid aside.
- Melt butter in a pan, add the flour and brown.
- De-glaze with the liquid, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 min.
- Add the meat back to the pot to keep warm until you serve it.
- Serve with a vegetable dish and bread dumplings or Spätzle.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
What to serve with Sauerbraten?
Serve with homemade spaetzle, noodles or bread dumplings and a veggie side dish.