Sauerbraten is one of the most famous German dishes. In this video I will show you that it is really easy to make an authentic German Sauerbraten with this foolproof recipe. The crucial ingredients for a perfect Sauerbraten are patience and some planning ahead, as the most important step is marinating the meat for 5 to 10 days before you want to cook it.
- 4 - 5 pounds beef roast
- 1/3 small head celery root
- 2 small parsnips
- 4 medium sized carrots
- 2 large onions
- 1 tbsp. garlic paste
- 4 cloves
- 5 bay leaves
- 7 whole all-spice
- 10 whole juniper berries
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. coarse black pepper
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 4 cups red wine
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Butterschmalz or lard
- 2 large onions
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 6 tbsp. honey
- 1 cup beef broth
- Marinate the meat for about 5 to 10 days before you want to serve this dish.
- Rinse the meat and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Add the red wine vinegar and the red wine to a large bowl.
- Add all spices and the garlic paste and mix well.
- Coarsely chop the root vegetables and add them to the bowl as well.
- Slice the onion and add half of the slices to the bowl.
- Place the meat into the bowl and cover it with the other half of the onion slices.
- The meat should be fully submerged in the liquid. If it is not, use a smaller bowl or add up to 2 cups of beef broth.
- Cover the bowl airtight and let the meat marinate in the refrigerator for at least 5, and up to 10 days.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry.
- Melt lard in a large pot.
- Strain the vegetables from the liquid and set both aside.
- Sear the meat on all sides.
- Add the vegetable and about 2/3 of the liquid to the pot.
- Stir the honey into the liquid and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 2 hours covered on medium high heat, turn the meat every half hour.
- Remove the meat from the pan and strain the vegetables from the liquid. Discard the vegetables and set the liquid aside.
- Melt butter in a pan, add the flour and brown.
- De-glaze with the liquid, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 min.
- Add the meat back to the pot to keep warm until you serve it.
- Serve with a vegetable dish and bread dumplings or Spätzle.